Porter Leath Children's Center is on the National Register of Historic Places, and all work had to be accomplished under the guidelines established by the United States Department of the Interior. The first building on the site was completed in 1856, and the main building was completed in 1876. Our first challenge was to develop a master plan for the entire nine-acre site and all of its six buildings. The presentation of the master plan was in the form of a forty-page booklet which also served as promotional tool in gathering grants and donations to rehabilitate the buildings and continue the services. Next in our work was the restoration of the brick exterior under the Department of the Interior Guidelines. The main buildings had been painted light gray, and the paint was deteriorating as were the masonry joints. A very careful paint stripping process was worked out and the loose mortar removed. The brick joints were completely repointed with a compatible mortar, and the building was gently cleaned. Finally, after painting the non-masonry portions of the building, the result is the beautiful edifice that we see now. Our next project was to renovate the "girl's cottage" into an emergency shelter for battered women and children. Finally, the site work was accomplished, providing an organized system of drives and parking.